Welcome to the seventh in a series of blog posts in which we use the News API to look into the previous month’s news content. The News API collected and indexed over 2.5 million stories published last month, and in this blog we’re going to use its analytic capabilities to discover trends in what the media wrote about. We’ve picked two of the biggest stories from last month, and using just three of the News API’s endpoints (Stories, Trends, and Time Series) we’re going to cover the two following topics:
- The conflict brewing with a nuclear-armed North Korea and the US
- The ‘fight of the century’ between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather
1. North KoreaLast month, North Korea detonated a Hydrogen bomb, which was over seven times larger than any of their previous tests. This created an increasing worry that conflict with a nuclear-armed nation is now likely. But using the News API, we can see that in the English-speaking world, even with such a threat looming, we still just can’t get enough of Donald Trump. Take a look below at the daily volume of stories with ‘North Korea’ in the title last month, which we gathered with the News API’s Time Series endpoint. The graph below shows the volume of stories with the term ‘North Korea’ in the title across every day in August. You can see that the English-speaking media were much more interested with Trump’s ‘fire and fury’ comment at the start of August than they were with North Korea actually detonating a Hydrogen bomb at the start of September. We guessed that this is largely due to publishers trying to keep up with the public’s insatiable appetite for any Donald Trump-related news. Using the News API, we can put this idea to the test, by analyzing what content about North Korea people shared the most over August. We used the Stories endpoint of the News API to look at the stories that contained ‘Korea,’ in the title that had the highest engagement rates across social networks to understand the type of content people are most likely to recommend in their social circles which gives a strong indication into readers’ opinions and interests. Take a look below at the most-shared stories across Facebook and Reddit. You can see that the popular content varies across the different networks.
- ‘Trump to North Korea: U.S. Ready to Respond With ‘Fire and Fury,’ The Washington Post. 118,312 shares.
- ‘China warns North Korea: You’re on your own if you go after the U.S.’ The Washington Post. 94,818 shares.
- ‘Trump threatens 'fury' against N Korea,’ BBC. 69,098 shares.
- ‘Japanese government warns North Korea missile headed toward northern Japan,’ CNBC. 119,075 upvotes.
- ‘North Korea shaken by strong tremors in likely nuclear test,’ CNBC. 61,088 upvotes.
- ‘Japan, US look to cut off North Korea's oil supply,’ Nikkei Asian Review. 59,725 upvotes.